PTK Meeting 4/14/15
Start Time: 8:04 AM
Attendees: Kim Pietrocci, Margaret Barela, Amy Tischler, Cindy Forno, Frances Carreon, Rachel ? (Kindergarten parent), Lara Miller, Bev Kellam, Ashley Kendall, Julie Murray, Michaelann Cavazos, Wendy Axelrod, Jane Belcher, Lynn Guevara
• After attending a budget meeting, Kim reported that her budget was in good shape. She was able to afford everything this year, including the literacy teacher.
• Carlos Gilbert has progressed from “acceleration” to “innovation” status.
• Kim expressed concerns with the third grade swimming program. She spoke with third grade teachers and they would like to adopt the “Trout in the Classroom” curriculum as their grade level enrichment program for the coming year. The coordinator will retire this year, so PTK will have to establish an independent arrangement with him.
• Kim would like to continue the tutoring program next year, once again matching the PTK’s dollar amount ($3,000.00??). --To be determined next year--
• Summer school will be held at CGE this year. Kim will be on site for the duration. Kim will have Bernadette submit an order for a lock for the basement, per PTK request.
Teacher Appreciation/Volunteer Appreciation
• Teacher Appreciation Week will be May 4-8, 2015.
• Kim and Bernadette will be providing small gifts for teachers every day.
• PTK will provide a coffee cart on Monday, May 4.
• Potluck luncheon will be provided on Friday, May 8, at 1:00 PM.
• Room Reps will be notified to organize a classroom gift for teachers to be given to teacher on Friday.
• Volunteer Appreciation luncheon to be held on Wednesday, May 6, at 1:00 PM. Teachers will provide food and refreshments.
Treasurer Report/ Balance Sheet
• Bev reported that our income was approximately $39.000.00 and our expenses totaled about $53,700.00.
• She stated that to continue at this rate would not be sustainable over the next couple years.
• She expressed the need to pare down our expenses by negotiating the grade-level program costs.
• Along those lines, Cindy Forno reminded teachers present to provide feedback about grade-level programs in the PTK Teacher Surveys that will be handed out at the staff meeting on 4/22/15.
• She emphasized the need for a profitable Spring fundraiser if we want to continue spending the way we have. The idea of a Fun Run was brought up again. --to be discussed at the next meeting--
• Lara went over the schedule for Earth Day activities: Harvest from 8-10, Tasting from 11-1, Harvest Give-away 2-4.
• Lara will begin planting for summer harvest on May 18 and 19th.
• She shared that Ms. Biree received grant money, a portion of which she has used to purchase books that will supplement that Outdoor Classroom curriculum.
• Kristy Filbin requested $100 for Field Day activities - unanimously approved
• $300 respectively for Kindergarten and sixth grade end-of-year ceremonies was unanimously approved.
• Ashley Kendall shared that sixth graders will pay their own admission to Cliff’s this year, as well as, hold two bake sales to raise the $450 for the bus.
• NO sixth grade dance this year.
• Frances Carreon will assist Ms. Biree in recruiting volunteers to organize the book room.
• Movie Night (Big Hero 6) will be held on May 1, from 5:30 - 8:00 PM. Margaret will be in charge of organizing volunteers.
Nomination of Officers
• Barbara Serna was nominated for Treasurer, possibly Co-Treasurer.
• Michaelann Cavazos was considered for both Secretary and Co-Treasurer, however she was not present for this discussion.
• Julie Murray suggested placing an announcement for PTK Board positions in the e-blast. She likes the idea of more “co-officer” positions.
Next meeting will be held on May 5, 2015.
Meeting adjourned at 9:08 AM.